A. Patient sits as upright as possible, back in seat against a flat solid back.
B. The flexicurve edge is placed at a 90 degree angle against the solid back and against the lateral rib side of the user at the position you want to support the trunk.
C. Bend the flexicurve around the lateral rib side with full contact against the user, leaving 2-4” before reaching the vertical mid sternal line.Mark on the flexicurve where it stops at least 2” from the mid sternal line. Holding the end structure in place, place it on a sheet of paper that has a 90 degree angle drawn on it. Place the lateral side of the bend parallel to the horizontal line. The vertical line is = to the solid back. Place the end section of the flexicurve that originally contacted the solid back, at a 90 degree angle perpendicular to the vertical line.
● Front of bend at least 2” lateral the mid sternum
● Mark on the paper if the bend was taken on the individual’s right or left side. Be careful not to confuse your left/right sides from the device user. Trace the inside curve that contacted the patient on the paper. We will need this paper to duplicate the curve in the pad.
The right & left sides may differ – so take a template of each side.
1. Cannot use the curved support pad with any female that has significant breast development.
2. The pad is intended to provide maximum contact to the body, acting as an external brace for the thoracic spine. Can use with a light sweater and shirt only. Will not work over a heavy coat. Will require a fitted poncho during cold weather that can be placed over the structure.
3. Use with a linear solid back that is securely fixed to the wheelchair frame.
4. The breakaway bracket holding the curved pad mounts behind the solid (I) back or in front of solid back. The solid back total thickness should be 1-3/4” and (I) shaped design when mounting behind or 1" when mounting in front of solid back.
5. Do not use with individual exceeding 150 lbs.
6. Do not use with individual who has seizures, impaired respiratory function, skin integrity problems, bones subject to fractures, abnormal behavior problems, any medical condition that requires quick exit from the wheelchair or is using a thoraco lumbar sacral orthosis while sitting in their wheelchair.